Thursday, February 3, 2011

{Originally written Dec 3rd, 2010} Pink Clouds

Serenity: a disposition free from stress or emotion, the absence of mental stress or anxiety.

Tudging along on this road of happy destiny. Kickin' it sobah style, clean as a ....whistlin' the happy tune of life. AKA the "pink" cloud as some snarky, sarcastic folk say. I just call it simple relief from the bondage of self. All of a sudden, the thinking comes back. Seemingly outta nowhere; it squib kicks ya in the gut and the gray matter, and the pink drips away slowly.

Restless, irritable and discontent. Free floating anxiety. When-is-the-other-shoe-gunna-drop-ism. The damn floor just dropped. Things are going TOO good, it's bound to get wack sooner or later. I can't do this. It's too hard. Why didn't they call? These people can't really be that nice. What's wrong with me? I'm lost. Doom. Gloom. Boom. Some of these may apply ...some may not. Take what you want and leave the rest of it for the really sick people like yours truly.

Where'd my serenity go? My peace of mind? The happy just up and left me, without even a "dear brittany" letter. WTF? Seepage of old thoughts flow in. It happens to us all. If you say it doesn't, you're a stone cold liar and pfft on you. Treatment folk coined it "stinkin thinkin". I prefer clusterfucked but then again, cursing works for me. Catharsis.

Easy to get all the way down it, when life comes to call. The recovery gods know we don't do emotions gracefully. Like feeling sad when sad things happens, crying a bit and grieving? Um. No. Kicking, screaming, victimizing, rationalizing, justifying, hissy fits and tantrums, poor me's and F-you's; are certainly my experiences with emotions early on. Hell even still today on Brittany's Sober World Fun Ride, there are dips that go pretty low.

How do you soothe the savage thought? Flip it a steak and call me in the morning. Just take the word serenity in the context of our opening/closing "prayer"; applies to three things. Grant me the serenity (state of being tranquil, calm, serene) to accept the things, I cannot change, the courage (not wanting to but doing it anyway) to change the things I can, and the wisdom (knowledge of what is true or right) to know the difference.

Basically...Give me the ability to be calm and serene so that I know: what I can really change ....then let me DO this deal ....and be smart enough to know one from the other. Best practice towards this is always ...investigation. If you have the eyes to see it, the 12 step show is always asking WHY. In the early days for me it was like a nagging mother in-law "Why'd ya do this ...or that...or the other?" "What's your problem young lady?" "Why do you do this to yourself?" AKA stepwork. And yes, it works. And YES you can shut it cause you know I'm right!

My inner thoughts are now challanged by my inner "why?" Lotsa inventory practice people. It becomes innate and ingrained. So days like yesterday (clusterfuck days), can be figured out and emulsified in "because". More often than not it's not rational thought. Not based in truth or reality. Knowing this gives me great comfort. Truly no matter what the shit throwing monkey called life tosses at me, I can be okay. No more malingering, hanging questions of "why" left in the breathing space. Sweet relief from the sick that is my thought sometimes. I like pink. I like feeling a bit over the top happy. It's a good color for blondes.

And always remember, if ya do the work .........the pink comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment